Bullying

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri Jan 31 09:24:09 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 JOdel at aol.com wrote:

> > > The only one I can think of that doesn't [have bullying in it] is "The
> > Lives of Christopher
> > > Chant", and I'm sure someone will give me reasons it could be seen as
> > > such.
> >

> Well... there is that internal comment made that Christopher would have
> probably have tended to bully the young Gabriel de Witt -- strictly for his
> own good, mind you -- if he had met him at school. And that he could see that
> Milly would have too.

Except I think that there the term "bully" is used to mean "make do
stuff," possibly. Like...oh, yes. Sophie bullies Calcifer into making him
bend his head down. It's more of a boss-around thing, not a hazing
thing. It could edge over into abusiveness, but I think it's more that
Christopher and Milly are leader-type people, so they tell other people
what to do.