Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Jan 31 06:09:36 EST 2003

> From: Kathleen Jennings [mailto:s368333 at student.uq.edu.au]
> Although the function of the Sorting Hat should be taken into
> account:
> people aren't evil because they're in Slytherin, they're put into
> Slytherin because they're (potentially) like that.

Yeah, and isn't that a good idea. You have here a bunch of 11-year-olds with
tendencies towards Eeeevil. Do you spread them evenly through the school?
No, you put them in one house with evil role-models so they can all
reinforce each other. Gee, that's a great way to make the wizard community
healthy.
I do quite like Potter, actually, in the same way I like Enid Blyton- fun to
read but don't stand up to scrutiny very well.

> And this is, to an  extent, a choice - most of the children *want* to be
in the house
> they're in, and Harry makes a choice - and actively pleads - not to be in
Slytherin.

That's a good point, you choose your own destiny sort of thing.
Though I wonder how many want to be in Hufflepuff? I mean, if your parents
were Huffs you might have heard about its being nice and supportive, or
whatever, but there must be a lot of kids who want to be in Gryffindor and
don't get in. Not to mention other muggle-born children who don't read up on
the school as intensively as Hermione and don't really know much about which
house they want.
Jennifer