hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Jan 31 05:10:34 EST 2003

Ven:

>Denise DeGraf wrote:
>>
>>  I've fallen into an interesting discussion on
>another list about the way in
>>  which the Harry Potter books seem (to me at
>least) to condone bullying, in
>>  the sense that Harry & Ron are depicted as
>justified in mistreating their
>>  "friend" Hermione because of her bookish
>habits.  Some people are
>>  protesting that Rowlings is merely "depicting
>the sad reality" as if
>>  there's no option except to show the abuse as
>entertaining.  (Perhaps the
>>  bullies find it funny, but I didn't: I was
>treated that way growing up myself.)
>
>"No option but to treat it as entertaining" what
>a dreadful idea! Yes, I think  the Potterverse
>internalises the idea that some people are born
>to be victims and even deserve it. I saw the
>second film with a friend and her seven year old,
>Charlotte. When Neville is hung up on the ceiling
>by the blue piskie things he says "Why does this
>always happen to me?" and Charlotte piped up
>"Because yer name's LONGBOTTOM!" That's the way
>Rowling writes it.

Yeah.  Like Kyla, I also agree with what Ven said. :-)  I reread the
2nd and 3rd books when I was sick, and got totally fed up with the
feeling that everything was being written for an effect, rather than
because it was true in any way that mattered.  Harry's the underdog -
must build up sympathy for him, so we'll put the (fat and) evil
Dursleys in charge of him, and let him be sent back there through
book after book, so he can really suffer.  Quidditch matches have to
be exciting, and Harry has to be the hero, so we'll ignore the way
the school authorities encourage kids to risk their lives while half
of them indulge in unpunished cheating and violence.  (Notice how
there's only one of each position, so nobody can be sent off or
suspended for fouls?)   And on and on (Ven's described the different
school groups already).  I just got tired of finding huge gaping
flaws in the logic of things, and wishing some editor had pointed
them out.

Melissa:

>Heck, Hermione is the queen of textbooks and yet she's a
>Gryffindor.  Which is why I'm not ready to discount the possibilities yet.

But surely that's still consistent with the logic of really Good Guys
being the Gryffindor type, and right the way through, even as grown
ups, having less power than the Bad Guys?  So nerd=underdog,
Ron=poor=underdog (as is his father), Harry, well, I've said it
before.  Dumbledore is the most powerful wizard in the world, except
that he's unable to stop Harry's abuse at the Dursleys, unable to
stop Malfoy Jr. from bullying in school, and Malfoy Sr. from bullying
in the world, etc., etc.

>I never in my life foresaw the complexity with which Rowlings ended the
>fourth book, with not only the split between Good and Evil but between Good
>and Better.

I was going to ask about bothering to read onto the fourth one, which
I've never read.  I did remember someone (Christian?) saying he/she
really liked the fourth one a lot more than the previous ones, though
I don't remember if that's an accurate memory of what was said.

After rereading the two HPs, I then reread _A Wizard of Earthsea_.
Talk about contrast!  The writing style is very different, but it
strikes me that DWJ and Le Guin have the same way of exploring
character in a rich and subtle way, while Rowlings takes the easier
option of lay-it-on-with-a-trowel black and white depictions.

Hallie.