Fri Jan 31 01:43:20 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 00:47:50 -0500 (EST), deborah wrote:

>Though arguably it is, it's just more deeply buried. And more complex;
>look at Clennen.  But it's certainly not so easy.  "Sophie: Gryffindor.
>Lettie: Ravenclaw.  Michael: Hufflepuff.  Howl:  Slytherin"?

But consider what an interesting tale could be told, if that approach were
taken.  With the above example you have four of the Good Guys who are all
very different.  The characteristics of the Hogwarts Houses ought to reflect
this kind of synergy, not the simplistic idea that certain qualities are
always bad and others are always good.  Intellectual people can also be
brave.  Sneaky people can also be loyal (and not mindless-drone loyal
either).  Heck, Hermione is the queen of textbooks and yet she's a
Gryffindor.  Which is why I'm not ready to discount the possibilities yet.
I never in my life foresaw the complexity with which Rowlings ended the
fourth book, with not only the split between Good and Evil but between Good
and Better.  I've seen hints in the text that Rowling is aware of the
weakness of the system, even though she's never done anything about it....

....I may have to stop reading email altogether if you people persist in
having interesting conversations.  I don't think I've ever been this busy in
my life--or not since the day I sat up grading final exams for four religion
classes until 5:30 a.m.

Melissa Proffitt