Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 30 20:52:07 EST 2003

It seems to be just about obligatory for an English
school novel to feature a bully, and this has been the
case since Tom Brown's Schooldays. (and wonderfully
sent up in one of the episodes of the TV series
ripping yarns with the school bully (known simply as
School Bully) getting a promotion to be School Bully
at Eton and the picked on hero goes on to become
School Bully himself). Not only is Official School
Bully just about an English storytelling convention,
but so is official School Victim. Neville Longbottom
appears in many guises, but he is usually there, and
rarely the hero (who while usually a victim of
bullying is not usually the most-picked upon kid). I
am not familair enough with American novels of this
ilk to know it it also the case there.
I think that an author like Rawlings feels she just
has to include a Bully a couple of Bully's henchpeople
and an Official Victim, without really examining the
morality of this. There is an element of this in DWJs
novels too. Having just read Wilkin's Tooth there are
plenty of bullies and victims there. Rawlings does go
further though, in fact on examination far too far, in
creating a whole house of bullies (who seem to have
been bullies for a thousand years) and a whole house
of potential victims, a whole house of heroes and a
house of hero's gilrfriends. On the other hand I can
see a school saying "let's put all the bullies into
the one house so that they don't infect the others,
and we'll put the toughest Master - Snape - to watch
over them."
And, of course, this is an unfortunate aspect of the
real world. While, in my experience, schools don't
have a School Bully (note capitals), there are plenty
of bullies in schools and in most schools it is quite
easy to find several kids who seem to have the word
Victim tattooed on their foreheads. However not
usually simply because of their name or physique. I
have come across a student with a name very similar to
Longbottom but he was far closer to bully than victim.
The best example of a YA novel examining bullying I
have come across is "Tyro" by David McRobbie (an Oz
title - but set in Scotland) which deals with bullying
in the workplace rather than at school.
Returning to Tom Brown's Schooldays, everyone should
read George macdonald Fraser's accounts of the later
career of Flashman, which are a rare example of a
series of books written from the bully's point of
view, and a lot of fun, especially if you are a 19th
century history buff.

Jon

=== message truncated ===