whining

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 30 15:32:42 EST 2003

Joe wrote:
>Everyone knows that translating's just a matter of reading the book then
>writing it out again. (Backwards, in the case of Hebrew).

This reminds me of something Kyla once forwarded to this list from another
list, a couple of years ago. Someone claiming to be speaking for DWJ made
some quip about sales of her books, and wondered whether copies sold in
Hebrew make the numbers go down, because they're backwards (sort of like
wondering if the speedometer goes down when you drive in reverse gear). Of
course I had to intervene and point out that despite the fact that Hebrew is
written from right to left, numbers in Hebrew are written from left to
write. (which makes it really difficult to design Hebrew language word
processors that can deal with numbers too, but that's a different story).
Anyway, we were writing first, it's you who are backwards. :-P

Gili Bar-Hillel
Tel-Aviv, tel.(03)5250014

www.picturetrail.com/gilibug