OT: What I'm Reading

Thu Jan 30 12:34:35 EST 2003

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:44:56 -0500 (EST), Laurie Puszczewicz wrote:

>Has anyone ever read _Walking the Labyrinth_ by Lisa Goldstein?  It showed
>up in a book catalog I just received and I was wondering if I should order
>it.  I checked Amazon's recs, but I trust the taste of this list more...
>Thanks!
>Laurie

I read it about two years ago and enjoyed it, but in a low-key way that left
me with little memory of the actual book.  The plot is very intricate and
weaves around from present to past and back.  I wish I could remember more
of why it didn't stick with me, but I think it was more a mismatch between
reader and text than any serious flaws in the book.  This one, at least,
reminded me of Tim Powers and Patricia McKillip...the kinds of magic, the
relationship between our world and the magical world, basic stylistic
similarities, things like that.  (Everyone now feel free to tell me that
they are NOTHING alike.)

Melissa Proffitt