Bullying, DWJ, and Harry Potter...

hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Thu Jan 30 07:03:30 EST 2003

> Other than DWJ, there's a cousin who bullies Aerin in The Hero and The Crown
> (and Aerin cuts her eyelashes off in retaliation). A gang of teenagers runs
> a protection racket in Joan Aiken's Midnight Is A Place. I can't think of
> others offhand but I'm sure there are many.

Yes, this could be a very long list. Two obvious (non-fantasy) titles would be Robert Cormier's The Chocolate War and Judy Blume's Blubber (if that's the one I mean). In DWJ an interest in bullying is just part and parcel of her interest in the way people manipulate each other generally, and in the psychology of power. Has anyone ever done a comparative analysis of DWJ and Machiavelli, I wonder?

Charlie

Freeserve AnyTime - Go online whenever you want for just £6.99 a month for
your first 3 months, that's HALF PRICE! And then it's just £13.99 a month
after that.

For more information visit http://www.freeserve.com/time/ or call free on
0800 970 8890