What I've read lately

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 30 06:16:15 EST 2003

>Other goodies - Gregory Maguire's "Wicked" and
>"Confessions of an ugly stepsister" (which is another
>cinderella story  for that thread).

I never managed to finish "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister". I think there
is something about Maguire's style that puts me off. I find his prose to be
topheavy, if that makes any sense, and there was something plodding and
whiney about both these books that I simply did not enjoy. This despite the
fact that I recognize how clever and knowledgeable he is, and I very much
enjoyed reading an essay of Maguire's on children's literature, to the point
that I truly wanted to like his fiction. I just don't, based on these two
examples. I wonder if I would enjoy his books for younger readers better.

Gili Bar-Hillel
Tel-Aviv, tel.(03)5250014

www.picturetrail.com/gilibug