Pratchett recommendations

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 30 06:08:51 EST 2003

Jon wrote:

>Not to mention "8 days of Luke" which is all about
>gods.

Fancy, that one hadn't occurred to me, though of course you're right.

>Re Harry Potter - can't you get an advance copy to
>translate from?

That would be the norm, but nothing about the marketing of Harry Potter is
normal. No advance copies for translators. A man recently paid about 30
thousand British pounds for a one-page summary of the fifth book in auction
at Sotheby's, needless to say that is *several* times what I expect to make
translating the entire series! And the woman in charge of dubbing the Harry
Potter films into Hebrew told me that as even Warner Brothers realize a film
cannot be dubbed without some advance time, she received early copies of the
films, on numbered and holographed tapes, with parts of the screen blacked
out so that only the actors' lips could be seen.

Just to bring this back on topic, the translator of "Charmed Life" finished
working on the Hebrew version nearly two years ago, and it is only now in
print. Why? Because the only pressure to publish was coming from me and from
her. When I called to tell her I had finally received my copy, she screeched
in delight, and then told me that she had given up hoping it would ever
truly be published. I wonder how long it will take them to publish "The
Lives of Christopher Chant", on which I finished working the week before Roi
was born - and he just celebrated his first birthday. My husband has just
about finished "Charmed Life", now that it exists in his favored reading
language, and is already asking for more...

Gili Bar-Hillel
Tel-Aviv, tel.(03)5250014

www.picturetrail.com/gilibug