Reading Groups (was Re: What I've read lately)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 29 22:38:22 EST 2003

--- Ros <argross at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> > On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:42:16 +1100, Abe Gross
> wrote:
> >
> > >You're incredibly lucky to belong to a book club
> that
> > >actually reads SF and F. (I don't know of any.)

Of course the definition of SF fandom is "a group of
people who used to all read SF"
I'm lucky in the we have a reading group of four at
home, myself, my wife and two daughters all read much
teh same sorts of things, but its a pretty incestuous
sort of a reading group (and i mean that in a purely
reading group sort of a way). My elder daughter's
boyfriend has failed to bring in any new literary
blood.

 > I'm also lucky to be able to attend meetings of the
> Nova Mob, a fannish
> group of people who read SF and F, and who get
> together once a month to hear
> a paper (people take turns), but there's nothing
> like the kind of discussion
> we have here on the list, and often the authors and
> books discussed aren't
> to my taste at all. And as half the people present
> don't read the books on
> which the papers are presented, discussion is pretty
> limited. Which is
> precisely why I *am* glad to belong to this list...

I don't recall where you are from - is this the
melbourne group? It certainly sounds like them. I went
to a meeting of there's about a quarter of a century
ago - literally it was in 1976. If it is they can't
have changed - see the definition above.

Jon Noble