What I've read lately

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 29 21:42:25 EST 2003

All this talk of retelling Jane Eyre brings to mind a
book that I and at least one other person (I forget
who) has mentioned on this list. Jasper Fforde's "The
Eyre Affair" which goes beyond a simple of retelling
of JE to alter the ending (in the world of the story )
SPOILER WARNING

Rather than leave the spoiler space blank I will
instead say that I found the book (and the second in
the series - "Lost in a good book" hilarious, probably
the best things I have read all year. While on the
topic of years faves I'll fill up a bit more space
with some others as I haven't done so yet.
Best YA novel "Mortal engines" by Reeves which we have
discussed here.
Most disgusting children's book Andy Griffiths "The
year my bum when psycho" ebven if you are into toilet
humour this book was over the top (or perhaps under
the bottom) needless to say it was the top selling
title by any Australian author last year.
Best fantasy series "Oath of Empire" by Thomas Harlan,
I have now read book three, with my daughter promising
me book 4 for my birthday (not till June), perhaps
most interesting for its treatment of Islam and
Judaism in an alternate Roman empire. I'm surprised
there hasn't been a fatwar on the author yet, but
until the final book appears it is hard to see what he
is saying about those religions. Also although there
are seemingly no Christians in his world there do
appear to be Cathars.
Other goodies - Gregory Maguire's "Wicked" and
"Confessions of an ugly stepsister" (which is another
cinderella story  for that thread).
Best DWJ - rereading "Deep secret"

and now back to the original message

from the original in which JE goes off to India after
discovering Rochester has a wife to the version we are
familiar with, this occurs by way of a disturbing
interlude when for a period of time Jane Eyre simply
ends on page 112 with the eponymous heroine kidnapped
by a mysterious stranger.

Jon