Harry Potter and the Solstice of Doom

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 29 04:29:58 EST 2003

Ugh.
The moment the press statement about June 21st was released in Israel, the
Israeli publishers took it upon themselves to issue a similar statement
promising the Hebrew edition would be ready in time for Rosh Hashana, which
is late September. Seeing as the publishers need at least one month solely
for printing and distribution before the book officially goes on sale, this
gives the poor little translator - whom the publishers also named in person
in said press statement - TWO MONTHS to translate and proofread an 800 page
book. It took almost five months of very hard work to translate "Harry
Potter and the Goblet of Fire", which was shorter. I simply cannot work much
faster than that. The publishers are aware of this and will not bind me to
that date in the contract, or so they've said, but have also hinted that in
interviews I should keep up the charade... so that come September, I can get
nasty personal feedback from readers about how "long" it is taking me to
translate...

Gili Bar-Hillel
Tel-Aviv, tel.(03)5250014

www.picturetrail.com/gilibug