DWJ film + Tam Lin

Anna Z Skarzynska theania at freeuk.com
Tue Jan 28 18:45:11 EST 2003

Dorian, then Charlie:
> > was very disappointed to find that there is no longer a 2p toll for
> > pedestrians.
>
> They decided it wasn't worth while collecting it some time in the early
> 1990's. At least they kept the Samaritans signs persuading people not to
> give in to the urge to jump!

I've been on that bridge too. My husband (it's a long story) (the one about
my being married, not the one I'm going to recount) has Bristol connections-
his father lives there, and he (husband) had lived there for a while, as
well as visiting often. One day he went for a walk, and upon reaching the
bridge, he found that he only had a penny. He handed it over, and was told
that he needed another one. He informed the tollbooth man that he was only
going half way. The toll collector was soon seen peering anxiously from the
booth, convinced that he was intending to jump.
Which of course he did not (he did worse- he went and married me!)
Ania