Sharon Shinn (was Re: What I've read lately)

Tue Jan 28 18:15:09 EST 2003

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:08:10 +1100, Kathryn Andersen wrote:

>On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 09:57:53PM +1100, Abe Gross wrote:
>>
>> Melissa wrote:
>>
>> > Bah.  Too bad, because I think
>> > Sharon Shinn is a pretty good writer overall.
>>
>> I agree--she nearly always is able to combine a charming romance with
>> wonderful fantasy. *Something* went wrong here.
>
>If she's so good, I'd really like to know which books she's good in.
>Besides "Jenna Starborn" the only other thing by her I've attempted to
>read was "Heart of Gold" and I hated that one so much I couldn't finish
>it, basically because the heroine started off in love with an utter
>utter bastard whom I couldn't stand, so I didn't have much sympathy for
>the heroine either, and the society, well it felt like it had been made
>up for the express purpose of talking about racism and sexism... (sigh)
>
>So tell my why I should bother with this author that so many of you
>love?

I've been warned away from _Heart of Gold_ already. Don't read that one. :)

The books I really enjoyed were _Summers at Castle Auburn_, which is a good
fantasy romance, and the Archangel trilogy:  _Archangel_, _Jovah's Angel_,
and _The Alleluia Files_.  The trilogy tells of settlers who came to a world
and attempted to protect their children from the "taint" of technology,
etc., so the books are spread over large periods of time.  I can't really
tell you the plot because it sounds dumb.  I like the middle book best.

Anyway.  I think Shinn is a good writer, but I wouldn't say I really *love*
her stuff.  _Jenna Starborn_ isn't half the quality I expect from her,
that's all.

Melissa Proffitt