Cart and Cwidder missing text LONG

Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk
Tue Jan 28 12:22:52 EST 2003

Paul, quoting Rowena, quoting I forget whom:

>>> What I'd like to know of those with earlier copies of Cart and
>>> Cwidder is this: Did it always have that glossary at the back, or
>>> is that new?
>
>> No,
>> My old puffin has the original text, which I lovingly typed out a
>> while ago for the list, but no glossary.
>
> That's such a weight off my mind, you have no idea.
>
> It had been worrying me, in retrospect, that the C&C glossary
> contained so many references to the events of _The Crown of Dalemark_.

Not only does my parents' old Puffin contain no glossary, but my old Mandarin (I
think it was) edition - the one issued uniformly with the first edition of Crown
- also contained no glossary, although it had the text cut :-(

(Last summer I got a 1st edition C&C for L10.50 in Hay on Wye, and gave my
Mandarin copy to the Church fete bookstall)

> I get the feeling, though, that all four glossaries are extracts from
> some complete-guide-to-everything-in-the-Quartet that has been split
> between the four books. (I've mentioned already, I think, that I have
> a matching set.)

Not having seen them, I don't know.  But when Mandarin published the four as a
uniform edition, including the original Crown, there was a "Guide to Dalemark"
at the back of Crown only.  (I don't like the Guide anyway.  I tend to take a
"strong reading" (thanks to this list for introducing me to that term) of a lot
of what it says.)

> If I'm right, the first edition of tCoD seems to me to be a plausible
> place for this comprehensive glossary to have been published. Does
> your copy of tCoD include glossary entries for names that are only
> mentioned in the other books? (Bangalorolob? Lalla? Zwitt?)

Yes.  (There's certainly an entry for Barangarolob, I can't remember the other
two offhand)

Philip.

prohibited.

Registered address:

Registered in England & Wales No. 2366923.