What I've read lately

Tue Jan 28 12:00:36 EST 2003

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 22:29:23 +1100, Abe Gross wrote:

>Melissa replied:
>
>> If you are retelling a story, and the only thing you do is change the
>names
>> of the characters and the setting, you haven't given the reader anything
>> new, and consequently haven't given them any reason to read.
>
>I think you've just said what I was trying to say (probably more clearly)!

Did I?  I didn't think I was being terribly articulate there.  I had a long
discussion about this book with my reading group last summer, trying to
explain why it was such a waste of time...so many retellings are successful
that it's hard to explain when one fails, because the criticisms sound so
ridiculous.  "The author just retold the story in a new setting." "Well,
isn't that what the author is SUPPOSED to do?"  "Yes, but it's supposed to
be something new as well."  "If it's new, how is it a retelling?"  And so
forth.  Your comments reassured me that I was not, in fact, crazy, Ros.  :)

Melissa Proffitt