What I've read lately

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Jan 28 06:28:57 EST 2003

 Melissa wrote:
> Two more books down, and I have a bet with myself that I can
> finish the third before midnight.  Har har har.  If I could only find a
> way to be PAID to read really fast....

You can picture the spam. "Make $$$ fast! Read books in your own home!".

> Melissa Proffitt (by the "no birthday without a book" rule, only
24--hooray!)

I'd be... 27. Or maybe 26, I'm not sure if I was given any books for my
first birthday.
Happy birthday, anyway, slightly late as most of my cards turn out to be :)

Since the book bonanza at Christmas (best sf I was given was the second of
the Cosmonaut Keep trilogy by Ken MacLeod) I've mostly reread books and
gotten mysteries out of the library. But I'd promised myself to order some
if I wasn't given them.
Last week they arrived, Ella Enchanted (very enjoyable, I'll look out for
more Levine), Bell, Book and Murder (trilogy of mysteries solved by a New
York witch, by Rosemary Edghill. I've read the first two and am saving the
last up for the weekend. Also very good), and the Book of Ratings by Lore
Sjoberg, a book-of-the-website from the Brunching Shuttlecocks. I laughed a
*lot*.
The second-hand Point of Hopes came as well, and is just as good as Point of
Dreams. There was a book by Melissa Scott writing alone thrown in, which was
fun, but not as good as PoH. I don't think Lisa Barnett has written anything
alone, or I'd see what that was like.
I'm resisting the temptation to order Alchemy, Gone-Away Lake by Elizabeth
Enright, and Stealing The Elf-King's Roses by Diane Duane- she wrote an
adult book that isn't a Star Trek novel! and I missed it!
I suspect my resolve will wear down soon.
Jennifer