Pratchett recommendations

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Jan 28 06:03:54 EST 2003

> On the other hand, if I just started with say, _Thief of
> Time_, would it be a bad beginning (with apologies to Lemony Snicket)?

It depends what you mean by "bad beginning" ;)
I think Thief of Time and The Truth are both fairly stand-alone, and would
give you a good idea if you like the style well enough to try another book.
You would miss a few continuing jokes, backstory to the characters etc. but
w/h/e/n if you get hooked and read all the rest you'd pick up on them. The
Fifth Elephant is more of a series book so I'd say it would be better to
read some of the other Guards series before this one.
Jennifer