Pratchett recommendations

Mon Jan 27 20:00:53 EST 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 17:40:36 -0700, Robyn Starkey wrote:

>Okay, now I'm freaked out and suspicious. Why does no one but me like Small
>Gods?

I do like it.  I just don't like it as much as I liked the others.  I liked
it much better the second time through, in fact.  Basically, my reading of
Pratchett far, far predated my collecting of same; I think the first one I
bought for myself was _Men at Arms_.  Anything published after that, I
bought new; anything that came before, I got used.  I just haven't found a
used copy of SG yet.  And I actually don't care for the independent novels
as much, either.

>One of the reasons I like it is that it is about the nature of "godhood",
>which I think is also the subject, in an oblique way, of DWJs Dalemark
>books (well, maybe not Cart and Cwidder, but the others). Actually, this is
>one of the themes I like in Curse of Chalion, too. Hmmm. Maybe this is a paper.

Something I really love in fantasy is when an author takes the time to
invent a good, solid religion and then doesn't make it or its adherents into
simpleminded fools.  That was what I liked about _Chalion_, me.  As for
_Small Gods_, what I've always enjoyed about the Discworld was the idea of
belief needing some kind of outlet, and therefore creating new gods (i.e.
Herne the Hunted, god of small furry creatures whose destiny is to end as a
small damp 'squeak' or something along those lines).  Glen Cook took this up
in _Petty Pewter Gods_, but not as successfully, I think.  I see it as an
allegory for how people really do behave--and not necessarily with regard to
religious faith, either.

Melissa Proffitt