Retelling

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 27 19:45:44 EST 2003

>So why did they work, and this one didn't?  I think maybe for a
>retelling to work, one has to focus on the emotional core of the plot,
>rather than its details.  In "The Stars My Destination", the emotional
>core is a man betrayed -- the form the betrayal takes is different, but
>the emotional resonance is the same.  Concentrating on the characters is
>always a good thing.
>
>So, could Jenna Starborn have been salvaged if it had been written in a
>different way?  I don't know.

I haven't read the book (the retelling - I've read the Bronte), but this is
an interesting question. I think it might rest more on the things in the
book that are not the plot. Because really, the plot of Jane Eyre is pretty
stupid (unbelievable in places), and what makes the book good is the
characterisation and the way the story is told and the details of the
description. So any book that takes the plot and depends upon it is just
writing a slightly long Mills and Boon romance.

Robyn