Pratchett question

Mon Jan 27 18:54:30 EST 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 21:12:24 -0000, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

>Ian asked...
>>
>> OK. As someone who's an inveterate completist . . . what is it about
>> the early Discworld novels that makes them "skippable" or unworthy of
>> recommendation?
>
>They're not, IMO, particularly well written.  Also, Pratchett hadn't yet got
>into his Discworld stride and was still, so to speak, messing about with the
>plasticene to see what he'd get.  He didn't really settle down till...well,
>opinions vary.  I'd say about "Wyrd Sisters".

>At any rate, I wouldn't necessarily say "Never ever buy early Pratchetts".
>I *would* say "Don't *start* with the early ones because you are very likely
>to be put off by them.  Start with something later and if you get hooked,
>buy the early ones to complete your set (and then read them once and then
>leave them on the shelf forever more. :-) )"

And note that I haven't said "don't buy the early ones" because I do own
all** of them and even read the earlier ones occasionally.  Just keep in
mind that all this discussion is geared toward breeding another generation
of Pratchettophiles, and we who are well and truly infected know that
certain books are more, um, infectious than others.

The other thing about the early books is that a lot of them are Rincewind
books.  Rincewind is not my favorite character.

**I don't actually have _Small Gods_ yet.  You know how it is when you have
other pressing purchases to make, like food and, well, other books.

Melissa Proffitt