What I've read lately

hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Mon Jan 27 14:06:22 EST 2003

Melissa:

>_Summerland_ is wonderful.  I thought, upon reading _Kavalier and Clay_,
>that Michael Chabon used to be One Of Us.  _Summerland_ convinced me that he
>still is.  Funny that it's being marketed as a YA title, because the
>complexity of the prose and the plot make it entirely suitable for adults.
>It reminded me of another author whose name I have completely forgotten, as
>it's really late and I've read three books in two and a half hours, which
>will go a long way toward turning your brain into a kneaded eraser.  I'm
>sure it will come to me.  Something about naming conventions and whimsy and
>high faerie magic.

Has it come back?  This sounds intriguingly unlike what I imagine
_Summerland_ to be like, from the bit I browsed.

>>[Note for Melissa: The Catherine Fishers don't seem to be available
>>in the States, which is a bit surprising, as I'd have thought most
>>authors who write spec. ficition for teenagers, and have won a few
>>awards, would be snapped up anywhere.  I'm not sure about the
>>availability though.]
>
>They are indeed impossible to get here--at least in the conventional sense.
>I can't even find them listed on the main Amazon site, just the UK one.  Can
>you hear me grumbling?  Not only that, but Mahy's _Alchemy_ won't be
>published here until April.  More grumbling.  Sometimes I get really annoyed
>that a global economy can't keep up with the globalization of reading
>communities.

I know.  My grumbling can roll in the opposite direction, about
_Curse of Chalion_ which is *still* not available from Amazon.co.uk.
I was all happy when someone said it had been released in pb in the
US, but Amazon.co.uk is not offering that version, presumably to
encourage purchase of the UK-published edition.  (Maybe someone there
is just a sadist, and it has nothing to do with international trade
agreements!)

>It's also bugging me because I am truly stupid and have volunteered AGAIN to
>judge a literary contest in two weeks.  At least this time I'm reading young
>adult fiction, there are only about 20 books to read, and most of them are
>very good.  (In fact, any daughter who is embarrassed by her mother, or any
>mother who embarrasses her teenage daughter, might want to pick up _A Mother
>To Embarrass Me_ by Carol Lynch Williams.  I laughed the whole way through.)
>What's bugging me is that one of the eligible titles is published by a very
>small press in Canada or some other remote wilderness (just kidding, my
>Canadian friends) and unless I can find someone here with a copy, or am
>willing to spend too much money, I won't be able to get it in time.  And
>it's the only fantasy title in the lot:  _The Dollmage_, by Martine Bates
>Leavitt.  She's written another trilogy before this, she's gotten excellent
>reviews, and I've never read a single one of her books.  I may spend
>birthday money on them, regardless of the award deadline.

Let us know if you do, all right?  It sounds very interesting.

>The clock in the corner of my screen says that it's actually my birthday
>now.  Yay me.  31 years old today.  A very nice person gave me _Coraline_ as
>a present.  And I think my mother-in-law stuck a book into the unusually
>heavy package she sent--unusual, that is, for something that feels like a
>sweater.  It's not really a birthday unless you get books.

Happy birthday!  And if it's not *really* a birthday unless you get
books - I think that makes me - um - about 20 still.  ;-)  No,
perhaps that's not such a good idea.  I always give books for
birthday presents, so my kids will have no valid excuse for delayed
maturity.

Hallie.