What I've read lately

hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Sat Jan 25 12:35:58 EST 2003

These are the books nobody else has talked about here - my generally
out-of-step responses to some other already-discussed books will go
elsewhere.

_Alchemy_, Margaret Mahy.  I gave this to Bec for Christmas, but
ended up reading it before she did.  We both gave it a sort of pretty
good rating, but were not wildly enthusiastic.  Somewhat reminiscent
of _The Changeover_ in that it had a single mother, gone AWOL father,
teen-aged protagonist who had to learn to use or open up to a magical
gift in order to save someone.  Very cool parts, especially liked the
bespelled house.  I really thought it was weakened by a suddenly
extra up-beat ending (even though I hate sad endings), and overall,
not as good as TC, though it also didn't have some of the things that
annoyed me about that.

_Time Stops for No Mouse_, Michael Hoeye.  Possibly would work well
for younger Redwall fans (though I'm not, so can't say with any
knowledge of the books).  I found it a bit heavy on the whimsicality,
though it was fun.  Again, I found the ending a bit of a let-down.

This one was my surprise hit of the lot:  Catherine Fisher, _The
Oracle_.   Becca and I read the Snow-Walker's Son trilogy a few years
ago, and were not all that impressed with it, though enough so to
keep reading.  I just picked this up on a whim, and really found it
impressive.  It's a very gripping and engrossing story, and has a
wonderful invented religious system - described by Catherine Fisher
as a mixture of "the dry, dessicated mysteries of Egypt's religion of
death, and the bright splendour of Greece".  The ending was
incredibly eerie!  I was quite relieved to find on Hodder's web-site
that there is a sequel coming, as there was no mention of it in the
book.  (Not for anyone with a scorpion phobia.)

Becca picked up _Going for Stone_, by Philip Gross  and passed it on
to me as a must read.  This is one spooky book.  I think I might have
been disappointed that the horror seems to veer away from a
supernatural element which is hinted at, towards a more normal
explanation - except that I was reading too fast to find out What
Would Happen next to notice.  The ending left a big loop-hole of
doubt though, which worked well.  (This isn't strictly Horror, I
wouldn't think, but sort of Coraline-ish scary for older readers.)
This is Gross's first novel, btw, and quite impressive.

I really wanted to find Fisher's _The Lammas Field_, which sounds
wonderful, but didn't see it, and so got _Corbenic_.  I'd also
recommend this highly - to anyone except those with aversion to
Arthurian elements in stories.  This one is modern-day,
kid-with-problems (big problems) story, interwoven with a
supernatural theme.  Very engrossing, and some cool characters.  One
thing I liked about both _The Oracle_ and _Corbenic_ was the way
Fisher has main characters who are likeable, even when behaving in a
very unlikable way.

I have already mentioned _Thursday_, and Becca read _Summerland_, by
Michael Chabon, and said it's excellent.  It's next on my to-be-read
pile.

Finally, and in a completely different mode,  I was recommended _Make
Lemonade_, by Virginia Euwer Wolff.  Not a new book, but possibly
newly published over here.  Becca read that while I was reading
_Corbenic_, and then insisted I read it too.  Wonderful book (though
probably not in the category of Books to Recommend to Teenage Boys
Who Like Harry Potter!).

[Note for Melissa: The Catherine Fishers don't seem to be available
in the States, which is a bit surprising, as I'd have thought most
authors who write spec. ficition for teenagers, and have won a few
awards, would be snapped up anywhere.  I'm not sure about the
availability though.]

Hallie.