wikipedia

Kale lskale at metaplaxia.net
Fri Jan 24 06:50:22 EST 2003

At 09:03 PM 1/20/2003 +0800, Paul Andinach wrote:
>On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, deborah wrote:
>

> http://www.suberic.net/cgi-bin/dwj/wiki.cgi?Diana_Wynne_Jones_Wikipedia_Home
> >
> > I don't know how many of you are familiar with the concept of a
> > Wikipedia.  Essentially, a Wikipedia is a collaborative
> > encyclopedia-building project.  Any user with the Web access can
> > add articles to this encyclopedia, or modify existing articles.
> > This will be done anonymously -- the system doesn't log any
> > information about you or your computer (although you can configure
> > a user if you want your preferences for the site to be saved, but
> > this is 100% optional).
>
>I'm a bit confused about this "configuring a user" thing. If I go
>awaay for a while, then come back and re-enter my user name and
>password, am I recalling the old user or creating a new one with the
>same name? Does it matter?

As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter.  There doesn't seem to be a login
mechanism.  I think when you access the page, it assigns you a user
ID and puts a cookie on your computer.  About the only use of putting
down a user name seems to be as a way of identifying your work on
the Recent Changes page.  If you hover over your username in Recent
Changes, you'll find it says ID # from IP Address.

>Read and improve my entry about Real People, folks!

Yay.  Thanks for working on the Wikipedia, Paul.  I appreciate the
reorganizing and formatting, and I like your approach to the short
story collections.  BTW, do you have an idea of how to fit in DWJ: An
Exact and Exciting Wisdom on the bibliography page?  I suppose
it would go under Other.  Do you have more detail on exactly what
she contributed to those journals(?)/anthologies?  I think the title
of the stories and articles would be helpful.

In regards to Wilkin's Tooth/Wilkins' Tooth--and I'm so sorry I didn't
double-check the title before I saved the page--Wikipedia does have
directions for renaming/moving a page, but I don't think the DWJ
Wikipedia has this option:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:How_to_rename_(move)_a_page

Is there anything you can do, Deborah?

Kale
(who was quite shocked by Buster Knell's language)