DWJ film

Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk
Thu Jan 23 05:40:56 EST 2003

Hallie, quoting me:

>>Can't help thinking that if Maree had parked as neatly as that little blue
>>hatchback, she'd never have met Rupert...
>
> No no, they'd have met - it just wouldn't have been as entertainingly
> awful a meeting for us!  But - surely she must have stopped further

:-)

> on the bridge than the little blue hatchback?  And this picture is

I think we were told that she stopped as soon as they got off the bridge.  I was
assuming that she'd parked in much the same space, but further out in the road -
so you couldn't quite get a car between hers and the road sign on the central
reservation

> doubly relevant isn't it - with Polly's having walked out on the
> bridge when she was so miserable.  You wouldn't catch me on that
> bridge!

Good point.  I haven't been to the suspension bridge since I was very small, I
think.  Or Bristol Zoo, for that matter (another place from both books).  It
might be fun to visit all the places in Bristol mentioned in the books,
sometime.  Or to reconstruct the route of the car chase from Deep secret...

Incidentally, Archer's Goon.  It's not very Bristolian, but Bristol does have a
Park Street and a Zed Alley.  (BTW, I always assume that the Mallorys live in
one of the regency squares just off Park Street, but thinking about it, Clifton
is more likely)

Philip.

PS at the same time that I failed to get a free weekend to hear DWJ speak at the
convention in Winchester, my brother was actually living there, fighting with a
fiendish one-way system whenever he went into town.  I started addressing
letters to his address in Wantchester, and they always seemed to get there.

prohibited.

Registered address:

Registered in England & Wales No. 2366923.