Reader differences (Was: Re: Subject: Re: Best Books 2002)

hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Mon Jan 20 14:22:29 EST 2003

Melissa:

>  >Hmmm.  I just fail to see the appeal.  But it may be that I'm missing
>>a Brust gene, just as I lack a Robin McKinley one.  Probably not
>>fatal, though potentially crippling...
>
>Obviously not everyone can like everything.  For example, a lot of people
>here like the Liaden books, and they make me want to put a fork in my eye.

Wow.  That's some powerful literature there...   ;-)  Anyway.  I read
the first of these ages ago, after an AlexLit recommendation (and a
loan from Kylie <waves>), and really enjoyed it.  The second was a
definite disappointment, but I was still very surprised by your
(Melissa that is) occasional comments about how you hated the books.
Never been able to find any more in order, so I picked up _Local
Custom_ when I came across it.  While I was sick, I read it - or
tried to read it.  Didn't get far.  Perhaps feeling like death warmed
over already immunised me against any desire to stick forks into my
person, but I can certainly see your feeling that it was a viable
alternative to reading on.

But I managed to get through a fair number of books over the last
week or so, for some of which, no doubt, I'll be back out of sync
again.

Hallie.