Why _Wuthering Heights_ is so awfully awful (was Re: Best Books 2002)

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 15 22:08:57 EST 2003

>You're right, Robyn. I found his earlier books *too* consciously funny for
>my taste. It is just personal taste, but I've never really liked constant
>barrage type humour (Xanth annoys me too, and so does Mything Persons and
>its sequels). I prefer humour that's a bit less deliberate. The humour in
>Howl is exactly at my wavelength. I did like Good Omens though, and if the
>later Pratchett is at that sort of leve... well! Could you recommend some
>really good examples of the later titles?

Well, I think any of the last four: The Fifth Elephant, The Truth (very
sardonic about journalism), Thief of Time and Night Watch. Carpe Jugulum is
a bit of a transitional work to the newer style, it comes just before 5th E.
The thing about Pratchett is that although they are a series in a way, he
is quite good at making each book a compete story. So you don't need to
read in order.

Robyn