Pratchett

Wed Jan 15 17:35:18 EST 2003

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:33:25 +1100, Sally Odgers wrote:

>I did like Good Omens though, and if the
>later Pratchett is at that sort of level... well! Could you recommend some
>really good examples of the later titles?

I'd want to know at what point you stopped reading, to see what "earlier"
means to you (important to know over a nearly-30-book series).  There are a
number of mini-series that changed dramatically between one book and the
next; _Guards! Guards!_, for example, characterizes its main characters much
differently than they appear in the "sequel" _Men at Arms_.  I usually tell
people not to start any earlier than _Mort_ and generally not even that
early--closer to _Moving Pictures_.  (Again, in _Mort_ Death is a bit
different than he appears in _Reaper Man_, which is BTW fantastic.)  If you
liked _Good Omens_, I would bet on your liking _Thief of Time_, which also
has an Apocalypse, as well as the Fifth Horseman, who left before they
became famous.  And Dorian's suggestions are all good ones.

I was going to list the books in the series, but I find I'm too lazy.  :)

Melissa Proffitt
(oh, I got _The Last Hero_ for Christmas!  It was a nice surprise)