Why _Wuthering Heights_ is so awfully awful (was Re: Best Boo ks 2002)

Tue Jan 14 18:52:13 EST 2003

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 12:14:35 -0000, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

>> > (Rule One, of course, is "Do not act incautiously when
>> confronting little
>> > bald wrinkly smiling men.")
>>
>> Is that omt?
>>
>> Sallyo - on a hot late afternoon.
>
>It could well be an OMT, but I think it's from Pratchett- based on martial
>arts films. If a bunch of heavily armed men are surrounding a little wrinkly
>guy and he's smiling, the H.A.M. would do well to wonder why that might be
>:)

It's from _Thief of Time_, which I just re-read two weeks ago.  Yummy.  In
my dreams, I am as tough as Miss Susan..and then there's the whole Death By
Chocolate thing....

The application of Rule One in this case is most successful because of the
way it's undermined--one is never certain, until the end, whether it's all
hype or something more.

Melissa Proffitt