F&H and Austen

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Tue Jan 14 15:15:28 EST 2003

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 09:53:36AM -0500, Laurie Puszczewicz wrote:
[older man and younger woman]
> What about Buffy and Angel?  She was 17, he had had a bicentennial some
> forty-something years before.  And then there's Buffy and Spike...

Well, as long as we're quoting TV shows, what about Duncan Macleod and
Tessa Noel?  Or for that matter, Methos and *anybody*?

Personally, I think that when one is dealing with immortals or long
livers of any stripe, then its pointless worrying about the age
difference.  I would compare the difficulties of such a relationship
more with a "cross-cultural" relationship than with a "different ages"
one; the two people would be likely to have different expectations, but
the relationship can work if both parties work at it.

Oh, I've thought of an older-woman/younger-man example!
Arwen and Aragorn.  But then again, that falls into the "immortal"
exception, as far as I'm concerned.  And you could argue that it's
cross-cultural anyway, seeing as she's an elf and he's a human.

Kathryn Andersen