F&H and Austen

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Tue Jan 14 08:38:17 EST 2003

 No good can come of such a thing, at least in
> DWJ - or are there counterexamples?

Can't think of any. There's a young man who has an aged goddess as a
mistress in Peter Beagle's "The Folk of the Air"... I think she's - mostly -
benign. And then there's Heinlein's Lazarus Long, who has Younger Women
*and* Older Women. And Dan Davis in Heinlein's "The Door into Summer" gets
engaged to his child-love when she is 11 and he's in his 20s - but then they
don't meet again until she's 21 and he's still in his 20s.

And again I'm inclined to see these aberrations as examples of ageless
personalities loving one another rather than true aberrations. Maybe I'm
just a romantic. In fiction, anyway.

Sallyo.