F&H and Austen

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Tue Jan 14 07:35:05 EST 2003

In all the examples so far (I think) the man has been older, yes? (Having
seen the Zeferelli (sp?) version while at school, I will always think of
Romeo as around 18, and definitely the elder of the two - though I may well
be wrong, because I admit I was having a hard time taking my eyes off Olivia
Hussey.)

Have you noticed that when DWJ occasionally shows women with much younger
men (eg.Laurel and the Witch in Howl) the rel'p is definitely shown to be
power-based and manipulative. No good can come of such a thing, at least in
DWJ - or are there counterexamples?

Charlie