F&H and Austen

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Tue Jan 14 07:22:55 EST 2003

> >(But then I think Romeo and Juliet would have had a huge row
> > in the first week, he would have found another Capulet girl to moon
after
> > and she would have got off with Mercutio.)

>Katta wrote:
> I'm more inclined to think that *he* would have got off with
> Mercutio. :-)
> But that might be based on the movie version, in which poor
> old Mercutio was slightly... well...

Slightly??
Actually, though he was pretty camp, to me he didn't seem so much gay as
omnivorous. Anything for kicks. The whole setting was very interesting, I
thought, rich kids playing with fire, and Mercutio was the one who was
playing most desperately. He was obviously going to burn up in some way
before long.
Jennifer