Romeo and Juliet (was F&H and Austen)

Katarina Hjärpe head_overheels at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 12 18:43:59 EST 2003

>I remember reading an interpretation of Romeo & Juliet
>which suggested that in Shakespeare's day audiences
>would have had no sympathy of R or J, regarding them
>as irresponsibly young. Although people were
>considered adult in their teens they didn't marry then
>(except in very wealthy families),

Although I like the interpretation, I think it falls with that sentence:
Romeo and Juliet are both clearly from wealthy families, and the disaster
strikes in part because Juliet is supposed to get married to Paris.

Of course, "looks what happens when you try to force kids to get married"
could be part of the point. :-)

Katta