Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Best Books 2002

hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Sun Jan 12 15:35:53 EST 2003

Ven:

>I misattributed Hallie and Melissa

[snip]

>i offer profuse apologies. Actually, little did I
>know that within a few hours I was going to be
>struck down for  a second time by the lovely new
>winter vomiting virus that appeared a couple of
>years ago. It's horrible and  I'm going to  blame
>it for any errors I might have made on Monday
>night because i have to get something out of the
>experience!

Poor you!  From what I've heard of it, one dose is enough to pay off
most cosmic debts for a good few years - not to mention two in a row!
Anyway, no apologies were needed one way or other.

[snip]

>No, it just is NOT ok for me to say anything
>about what Brust might
>do to your brains, on the basis of one book!  So
>I won't.  (Even
>though Dorian agreed!)   Anyway, there'd be too
>many of you ganging
>up on me.  Although, with Melissa up packing...
>;-)
>
>Just remind me which book it was, I won't say
>anything, honest.....

Er.  Um.  Not a question of reminding anyone, as I don't think I ever
mentioned it before here, but still can't remember myself.  Having
had a bit of a root around on Amazon, I'm pretty sure it was _The
Phoenix Guards_.  <Claps hands over ears to prevent self being
deafened by chorus of people yelling how wonderful a book it is!>

>Vitriol perfectly acceptable with respect to
>Mill, as I've never read
>it.  But how could anyone not stick the telly
>version of Middlemarch,
>which had Rufus Sewell in it?!?  No accounting
>for tastes.
>
>Oh watching would have been allright, listening
>was the problem. I did manage to see Daniel
>Deronda though, and very pretty he/damn I meant
>IT/ was. I also watched the biodocumentary on
>Eliot and I'm afraid it just confirmed my
>opinion. For an intelligent woman she could be
>really obtuse,

Well, can't we all? ;-)  I managed to miss both Daniel Deronda AND
the bio thing, though I have read most of a biography - was there
anything obtuse in particular that irked you?  I felt mostly a
combination of awe at her intellect and pity for her lack of
self-confidence.

Hallie.