F&H and Austen

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Sun Jan 12 15:36:28 EST 2003

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 03:53:28PM -0000, Anna Z Skarzynska wrote:

>> From: Katarina Hj?rpe <head_overheels at hotmail.com>
>
>> >I think Juliet was "not yet fourteen", wasn't she?
>
>> On the other hand, Romeo was probably somewhere around there too. At least
>> he acts like it. :-)
>
> Many nearly-men of that age do; I speak as a mother of a 15 yo son.
> I remember reading Barbara Tuchman's 'A Distant Mirror: the calamitous 14th
> century', in which the author points out that childhood ended a lot earlier
> in those days, and many momentous and world-changing decisions were taken by
> those whom we would now consider mere children, who had ended up in
> positions of power.
> Ania

To quote the ballad:

        Father, dear father, you've done me great wrong
        You've married me to a boy who is too young
        I'm twice twelve, and he is but fourteen
        He's young but he's daily growing

        At the age of fourteen he was a married man
        At the age of fifteen, the father of a son
        At the age of sixteen, his grave it was green
        And death had put an end to his growing

Kathryn Andersen