F&H and Austen

Anna Z Skarzynska theania at freeuk.com
Sun Jan 12 10:53:28 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: Katarina Hjärpe <head_overheels at hotmail.com>
To: <dwj at suberic.net>
Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2003 8:09 AM
Subject: Re: F&H and Austen

>I think Juliet was "not yet fourteen", wasn't she?

On the other hand, Romeo was probably somewhere around there too. At least
he acts like it. :-)

Katta

Many nearly-men of that age do; I speak as a mother of a 15 yo son.
I remember reading Barbara Tuchman's 'A Distant Mirror: the calamitous 14th
century', in which the author points out that childhood ended a lot earlier
in those days, and many momentous and world-changing decisions were taken by
those whom we would now consider mere children, who had ended up in
positions of power.
Ania