F&H and Austen

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Fri Jan 10 06:41:56 EST 2003

> I used "university" more as a question of age and experience than as a
> factual thing. I could have said "after she's been five years in a
> profession", if that would have been more clear.

Interesting point - but I think age is relative. In so-called Chick Lit
there are supposedly intelligent heroines of 27 or so acting like remarkably
immature 15 year olds. In F&H Polly is adult in every sense at 19. Some
women actually *are* grown up at 17 or so. They either bypass the silly
stage or go through it early and fast. In the same way, I've known men in
their 40s who act and react like teenagers, and teenaged boys who are
utterly reliable and adult.

As one 18 y-o who has decided on her life partner said to me - "why faff
about for 5 years and maybe lose what I know I want?" She is the kind of
girl who wanted to go to nightclubs etc at 13 - but by the "legal" age of
adulthood she'd been out of that stage for some time. She admits this is
ironic.

Of course the 27 y-o "teenagers" in chick lit may exist in real life too?
But honestly, chron. age hasn't a lot to do with maturity - or age. I've
known people who are "old ladies" at 60, and others out and about and
feeling 30 at the same age. I wonder if it's genetic? And do early-maturers
enter middle age and old age early as well?

Sallyo - (45 and feeling the same mental age as she was at 14.)