Best Books 2002 (long, because I don't know when to shut up)

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Fri Jan 10 04:58:44 EST 2003

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 09:47:49AM +0800, Paul Andinach wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 09:51:31AM +0800, Paul Andinach wrote:
>
> [_The Ship Who Searched_ by Anne McCaffrey and Mercedes Lackey]
>
> > > :now very puzzled:
> > >
> > > And you liked it?
> >
> > You mean I should have put it in the "guily pleasures" category?
> > How odd.
>
> I wouldn't presume to say what another person should do with it, but
> *I* thought it was appalling.
>
> Maybe I'm just not a Mercedes Lackey person.

Well, I don't consider myself a Mercedes Lackey person either.  My usual
impression of her fantasy, what little I'd nerved myself up to read, was
that she had this amazing talent for making magic *boring*.  Taking the
magic out of magic, so to speak.
Then I read "Magic's Pawn" (or whatever the first one in the Herald-Mage
trilogy is) and realized that if I'd been a young teenager I would have
liked it.  Possibly.  Except that there were certain things in it which
would have shocked me a lot more then than they do now...

I kinda consider "The Ship Who Searched" to be an abberation.  Yes, it's
formulaic to a degree.  Yes, the heroine is probably too precocious.
Yes, there are cliche-characters wandering around.  Yes, the end is a
bit too trite-romancy.  However, the things I liked about it *were*
different, or just nice.

- Xenoarchaeology
- an unusual Shell Person
- adventure with Brawn *and* Brain
- friendship before romance
- investment decisions figured from archaeological/historical data (I
  liked that side-idea)

It felt a bit like classic Andre Norton to a degree, and I loved Andre
Norton when I was a teenager.

Of course, if you now go and say what was so appalling about it, I shall
just have to say either "I didn't notice" or "I didn't mind".

Kathryn Andersen
Blair: I think Jim's waiting for the "books on tape" version
       actually.
Kelso: It's all right. I'm resigned to the fact that I'm writing books
       that are read by the few and bought by many.
		 (Sentinel: Rogue)