Doing the reading (was: Best Books 2002)

hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Jan 9 04:09:48 EST 2003

Denise:

>I also have a few good friends at Berkeley, UCLA, Stanford, and
>various other top campuses doing anything from bachelor's through
>doctoral studies.  All employ the same method, primarily because
>there's no physical way to get through the amount of reading that is
>typically assigned to students at our schools.  (Average reading
>load per week at Berkeley with a full standard courseload is 3,000
>pages.  I don't know about you, but I read at high speed, have been
>literate since before age two, have a photographic memory, and *I*
>could never manage to pull that off.)

3,000 pages per *week*???  That's insane!  How on earth is anyone
supposed to think about what they've read, even if they could manage
to read it?  And why set a reading load no one can realistically cope
with?

I'm sort of in the middle of this discussion - first time around
(B.Sc. years and years ago), no lecturers gave a tinker's what we
did.  You read or not, and it all came out in end of the year exam.
This time (mid-way through OU lit. degree) you read or not, and
better back up *anything* you say in an essay with page refs to both
text and critical essays or else.  And then the exam...  <shudders>
But there was a student who actually asked the tutor (not mine) if it
was possible to write an essay on the narrative method in
_Middlemarch_ from watching the BBC telly version.  On the other
hand, our tutor this year rarely had anything helpful to say,
regularly went off onto long lectures about such matters as why we
weren't allowed use "I" in our essays (ok the first time, but could
have been said in 1 minute - certainly didn't require 10-15 minutes
and many repetitions), and told us something flat out wrong in the
exam revision which could have seriously damaged people's exam
performance.  General opinion was that she was seriously hung-over.

Nobody has given the obvious F&H quote yet, so here it is:  "After
her tutorial, which went better than Polly felt she deserved..."

Hallie.

.