Doing the reading (was: Best Books 2002)

Anna Z Skarzynska theania at freeuk.com
Wed Jan 8 19:31:12 EST 2003

Denise:
Most of our profs have been
> teaching for decades, as you can guess, and they don't cut slack on one
> student because another failed to use proper punctuation -- in fact, I've
> had readers nail me a half-grade for having a 1.1" margin on one side
> rather than 1" exact margin when my printer was out of whack.
To the downgrading for having a slightly wonky printer, I have this to say:
pathetic. I am a stickler for proper punctuation and I never make spelling
mistakes, but I am forced to agree with the esteemed Mr Pullman, who said in
a radio interview that when it comes to writing (he was specifically talking
about creative writing, but it applies to writing in general), things like
punctuation can be put in later, and spelling can be checked. On the other
hand,  the heart of the story, essay, poem, has to be there in the first
place. And this is what really matters.

Ania