Best Books 2002 (long, because I don't know when to shut up)

Anna Z Skarzynska theania at freeuk.com
Tue Jan 7 19:49:06 EST 2003

Widdy:
> > I guess my question would be . . . would it have been slash for you if
> > the two characters had been of opposite genders instead of the same
> > gender?
Kathryn:
> Call me old-fashioned, but, no, it wouldn't have been.  Then again, if
> they had been of opposite genders, I wouldn't have been expecting a
> Friendship book either (not that it's impossible to have Great
> Friendships between persons of the opposite gender, it's just that
> that's not usually what gets *written* about persons of the opposite
> gender).  I would possibly have found it a bit too... erotic for my
> taste, but I would probably have stuck with it to find out more.

So what did you make of the Wraeththu novels by Storm Constantine? (In which
the heroes are male....
but they undergo a transformation into Wraeththu, who are sort of
hermaphrodites, and they do end up having sex with one another?)
I read these ages ago, and thought them quite strange, but very good,
myself. I might add, seeing as it may be relevant, that I am basically
heterosexual, but I do fancy women. Just not enough, so far. As I am 39,
this may mean I'll never find people of my own sex attractive enough to have
a go (Then again, who knows).
This means that reading about M/F sex is- how do I put this- more relevant
to my own experiences, but I do not object to M/M, F/F, whatever. I do not
particularly want lurid descriptions; suggestion is far more sexy, and
tasteful. I have not read the book you were discussing; is it the way the
M/M thing was described, or the mere fact it was there that bothered you?
Ania