Best Books 2002

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 7 16:53:02 EST 2003

--- Robyn Starkey <rohina at shaw.ca> wrote:

> One of my classes was just soooo depressing - I
> asked them to write about
> their favourite book as an introduction, and at
> least 5 of them wrote about
> magazines, and motoring magazines at that. And a
> couple more wrote about
> how they don't read. These are people I have to
> teach poetry to.

I'm used to classes like that at secondary level, they
sound very like our bottom year 7 class last year,
however even there three of the boys read fiction
(they discovered Artemis Fowl and loved it), a couple
of others read quite a bit of non-fiction and the
girls (only 4 in the class) discovered novels in verse
form (starting with Steven Herrick - an Oz kid's
author possibly not available O/S but highly
recomended and working through everything we had.) The
remaining half dozen read only magazines if anything.
But - hey - these are 12 year olds none of whom will
ever get to any form of tertiary education. Where your
students doing degrees involving literature - or was
your course mearly a fill in that they had to do in
order to become engineers or PE teachers?

Jon Noble