Best Books 2002 (long, because I don't know when to shut up)

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Tue Jan 7 16:43:53 EST 2003

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 07:38:36AM -0800, Jenwa Hsung wrote:

> --- Kathryn Andersen <kat_lists at katspace.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 02:17:06PM -0800, Jenwa
> > Hsung wrote:
> > > While I'm still working on a Best of 2002 list, I feel
> > > the need to pop up briefly and defend "The Fall of the
> > > Kings" by Ellen Kushner and Delia Sherman.
> > >
> > > Yes, many of the prominent characters in it are gay.
> > > Forgive me if I don't understand why that makes the
> > > book automatically dismissable.
> >
> > You're forgiven. 8-)
>
> Thanks.  ^_^
>
> > I got the book because, from reading the blurb and the comments, I
> > thought it was going to be a great friendship (or a Great Friendship)
> > book -- and it turned out to be slash.  I don't read slash, whether it's
> > slash fanfic, or professional fantasy.  End of story.
>
> Ah, I see.  I can see how it would be something of a
> shock if you weren't expecting it.  I had heard a bit
> about the book before picking it up -- and about that
> aspect in particular, so perhaps that made a
> difference.

Yes, you knew what you were getting into.  If I'd known beforehand, I
wouldn't have gotten the book...

> I'm a bit surprised to hear you call it
> slash, though, as my impression is that slash is about
> taking platonic characters from an existing work and
> causing them to be romantically involved.  Am I
> confused?

That's one of the definitions.  Usually it means taking platonic
characters from an existing work *who are of the same gender* and
causing them to be romantically involved.(*) So, for me it was *like*
slash (even if it wasn't technically slash) because it was taking two
characters of the same gender whom I had expected to be platonic and
causing them to be romantically involved.

(*) When they are of the opposite gender, depending on what fannish
circles you move in, it has been called "adult" (if it was erotica),
"gen" (if it was not) or "het" (for those who consider the category of
"gen" to exclude all hint of romance).  Many heated discussions have
occured when people of different definitions try to insist that theirs
is the One True Definition.

Kathryn Andersen
"You have a reputation for straightforward mayhem that's second to
none. I've been an admirer of yours for, um, well, for as long as I
can remember. Well maybe not that long, I mean, uh, you're not that
old, are you? But, uh, then again, you did start very young, didn't
you? I think I feel sick."
	-- a very flustered Vila Restal to Babyan the Butcher
		 (Blake's 7: City at the Edge of the World [C6])