Best Books 2002 (long, because I don't know when to shut up)

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Tue Jan 7 16:31:02 EST 2003

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 08:15:03AM -0600, Ian W. Riddell wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 7, 2003, at 03:55  AM, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
>

> > On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 02:17:06PM -0800, Jenwa Hsung wrote:

[snip]
> > > While I'm still working on a Best of 2002 list, I feel
> > > the need to pop up briefly and defend "The Fall of the
> > > Kings" by Ellen Kushner and Delia Sherman.
> > >
> > > I really enjoyed this book.  I found it absorbing,
> > > with an unusual and detailed worldview, vivid
> > > descriptions, and fascinating characters.  The text,
> > > concepts, and imagery have a literate savagery -- no
> > > punches are pulled here.
> > >
> > > Yes, many of the prominent characters in it are gay.
> > > Forgive me if I don't understand why that makes the
> > > book automatically dismissable.
> > >

> > You're forgiven. 8-)
> >
> > I got the book because, from reading the blurb and the comments, I
> > thought it was going to be a great friendship (or a Great
> > Friendship) book -- and it turned out to be slash.  I don't read
> > slash, whether it's slash fanfic, or professional fantasy.  End of
> > story.
> >
> > For me, it was a bit like finding a worm in my apple.
> > And though one man's worm is another man's witchety grub, it was a
> > worm for me.

> I guess my question would be . . . would it have been slash for you if
> the two characters had been of opposite genders instead of the same
> gender?

Call me old-fashioned, but, no, it wouldn't have been.  Then again, if
they had been of opposite genders, I wouldn't have been expecting a
Friendship book either (not that it's impossible to have Great
Friendships between persons of the opposite gender, it's just that
that's not usually what gets *written* about persons of the opposite
gender).  I would possibly have found it a bit too... erotic for my
taste, but I would probably have stuck with it to find out more.

As an aside -- does anyone *have* any "great friendship" books to
reccommend?  I've got "Transformation" and the other two by Carol Berg
-- anything else?

> widdy
> (not trying to pick a fight, just curious)

You'd only be trying to pick a fight if you insulted me for my
preferences... 8-)

>  Fairy tales are not true--fairy tales are important, and they are not
>   true, they are more than true. Not because they tell us that dragons
>      exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be defeated.
>                             G.K. Chesterton

Ooooh!  Nice quote!

Kathryn Andersen