Best Books 2002 (long, because I don't know when to shut up)

Jenwa Hsung jenwahsung at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 7 10:38:36 EST 2003

--- Kathryn Andersen <kat_lists at katspace.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 02:17:06PM -0800, Jenwa
> Hsung wrote:
> > While I'm still working on a Best of 2002 list, I
> feel
> > the need to pop up briefly and defend "The Fall of
> the
> > Kings" by Ellen Kushner and Delia Sherman.
> >
> > Yes, many of the prominent characters in it are
> gay.
> > Forgive me if I don't understand why that makes
> the
> > book automatically dismissable.
>
> You're forgiven. 8-)

Thanks.  ^_^

> I got the book because, from reading the blurb and
> the comments, I
> thought it was going to be a great friendship (or a
> Great Friendship)
> book -- and it turned out to be slash.  I don't read
> slash, whether it's
> slash fanfic, or professional fantasy.  End of
> story.

Ah, I see.  I can see how it would be something of a
shock if you weren't expecting it.  I had heard a bit
about the book before picking it up -- and about that
aspect in particular, so perhaps that made a
difference.  I'm a bit surprised to hear you call it
slash, though, as my impression is that slash is about
taking platonic characters from an existing work and
causing them to be romantically involved.  Am I
confused?

To me, _The Fall of the Kings_ relationships are
simply relationships between characters that happen to
be of the same gender.  Well, with additionally
complexity, but mostly not from the gender issue.

> For me, it was a bit like finding a worm in my
> apple.
> And though one man's worm is another man's witchety
> grub, it was a worm
> for me.

<nod>  To each their own.  I just wanted to provide
another perspective on the book.

--jenwa.