Best Books 2002 (long, because I don't know when to shut up)

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Tue Jan 7 04:55:40 EST 2003

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 02:17:06PM -0800, Jenwa Hsung wrote:
> --- Kathryn Andersen <kat_lists at katspace.com> wrote:
> > The Most Waste Of Money And Mysterious Missing Book
> > Award
> >
> > "The Fall of the Kings" by two authors whos names I can't remember,
> > and I can't look up because the book is missing.  I *thought* it was
> > either in my to-be-tossed book box, or put aside somewhere to be
> > sold second-hand, but I can't find it.  This was a book I bought on
> > spec in trade paperback (about $40!) because it looked good, it
> > sounded good, and I felt like spending some money.  And though it
> > started out well and vividly and picturesquely, I got completely
> > turned off when the two heros turned out to be gay, and got in bed
> > with each other.  Not the kind of thing I want to read about, thank
> > you.  I class this as "most waste of money" since at least with "The
> > Shelters of Stone" (which I bought hardback) I actually finished the
> > book.
>
> While I'm still working on a Best of 2002 list, I feel
> the need to pop up briefly and defend "The Fall of the
> Kings" by Ellen Kushner and Delia Sherman.
>
> I really enjoyed this book.  I found it absorbing,
> with an unusual and detailed worldview, vivid
> descriptions, and fascinating characters.  The text,
> concepts, and imagery have a literate savagery -- no
> punches are pulled here.
>
> Yes, many of the prominent characters in it are gay.
> Forgive me if I don't understand why that makes the
> book automatically dismissable.

You're forgiven. 8-)

I got the book because, from reading the blurb and the comments, I
thought it was going to be a great friendship (or a Great Friendship)
book -- and it turned out to be slash.  I don't read slash, whether it's
slash fanfic, or professional fantasy.  End of story.

For me, it was a bit like finding a worm in my apple.
And though one man's worm is another man's witchety grub, it was a worm
for me.

Kathryn Andersen