Subject: Subject: Re: Best Books 2002

Anna Z Skarzynska theania at freeuk.com
Mon Jan 6 19:52:32 EST 2003

Ven:
> Best new discovery: Jo Walton, I read her books
> The King's Peace and the King's name,
> interestingly skewed Arthurianism.  No Lancelot,
> instead a female warrior, Sulienn who doesn't
> exist in any other world or story.

But there was a Welsh (male, naturally) bishop Sulien (pron. SILL-yen),
whose see was in Llanbadarn Fawr, now a 'suburb'* of Aberystwyth, but once
an early Celtic monastic community, or 'clas'
It never ceases to amaze me what liberties writers take with names (see my
earlier rant on names in Mists of Avalon, which constituted a very serious
flaw in an otherwise ok book)
*Aber is really too small to have suburbs, but it has expanded enough that
there is continuous built-up space between it an what used to be nearby
villages
Ania