Subject: Re: Best Books 2002

hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Mon Jan 6 16:45:06 EST 2003

Ven:

>Hallie said
>
>>   >And finally, (well, finally that I can think
>of for now) _Northanger
>award for this year
>favourite Austen, love it
>>>
>>>I loved it because part of me is still
>Catherine, to my embarrassment.  I
>>>don't know anyone else who likes it, though.
>>
>and Melissa (rightly) said
>>I only know Ven who *doesn't* like it. ;-)

Nononono!  *Hallie* said that....

>leading Hallie to say
>Ven is biased.  :)  (Poke poke, where are you
>Ven?)

And *Melissa* said that!  Hallie would never accuse Ven of being
biased. ;-)  (Not half!)

>Please picture Ven as irascible bear poking her
>head up through the snow: I've been doing my best
>to hibernate with my head in a book, well several
>books. I'm not sure if it's a result or a cause
>but my head's a shed and I can't remember
>anything I read more than a month ago...........
>I've been in Brust's Dragaera, mostly, for the
>last few weeks which is enough to disorder
>anyone's brains.

No, it just is NOT ok for me to say anything about what Brust might
do to your brains, on the basis of one book!  So I won't.  (Even
though Dorian agreed!)   Anyway, there'd be too many of you ganging
up on me.  Although, with Melissa up packing...  ;-)

>Then Hallie said:
>>>   and _Middlemarch_... I don't know what award
>it gets.
>>>But it's definitely a favourite of some kind.
>And I'm still planning
>>>to inflict a F&H/Middlemarch comparison on the
>list some day, as the
>>>idea just won't go away, no matter how much I
>ignore it.
>>

>Oops I've fallen out of Middlemarch twice and
>couldn't stick with the telly version. What's
>more where I dislike Austen I'm positively
>vitriolic about Eliot in relation to Mill on the
>Floss (an A level text)........

Vitriol perfectly acceptable with respect to Mill, as I've never read
it.  But how could anyone not stick the telly version of Middlemarch,
which had Rufus Sewell in it?!?  No accounting for tastes.

Hallie.